Sunday, February 23, 2014

That awesome moment when...

you run into a couple of self-proclaimed atheists that you met briefly a month ago and call them by their names!

Yep, that's the story. Yesterday Kimberly and I were at a craft fair downtown and ran into Chris* and Kay, a couple of students that I met after one of the bisonCatholic week events. We actually talked for a few minutes after the Vicki Thorn event and had what I'd deem a pretty decent conversation. It's pretty common for me to forget the names of people that I meet only one time (unless it's something like Charlise or Shaniqua), so why didn't I forget the names of these two people?

Well, the answer is quite simple really:  prayer.

I don't mean to toot my own horn or make you think I'm some holy, pray all day every day without ceasing type...even though that is what St. Paul asks of us. It has actually been quite simple. I have a post-it on my dresser with the first names of a few people that I've met around campus and when I'm getting ready in the morning I throw out some prayers for them, as well as potentially a few other random times throughout the day.

A month ago, I met four individuals in particular at one of the events, each of them proclaiming themselves as "freethinking atheists." A couple of them were fallen-away Catholics, the others I'm not sure, but regardless of what their past they are likely wounded in some way, and really just need someone to show them that they care.

I had a pretty civil conversation with Kay (which I'd love to tell you about sometime if you ask), and she told me how interested she'd be in going to a Latin Mass sometime. I was honestly shocked--even a lot of Catholics have no interest in doing that! Regardless, our conversation continued and I left with one simple thing: her name.

Yesterday, almost a month after our first (and only meeting) we walked past one another at the art fair and without even thinking to myself, "Oh crap, what's her name?? I know I met her.. it's um..." I just blurted out, "Oh, hey Kay!" and saw who she was with, "Oh, and it's Chris right? Hey guys! Have a great time at the art fair."

Kay mentioned how crazy it was that I remembered their names, but I knew all along it wasn't crazy. She felt bad for not remembering mine, but I wasn't offended. I have also been praying that I run into her in particular again, and it was cool to see a prayer answered. Now I will pray that I run into her for long enough to exchange digits and ask for coffee sometime!

If there's anyone in your life who you think is "too far gone" and will never show interest in church, God or religion in general again, keep sowing those seeds of prayer! God is faithful!

"I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs." Luke 11:8

*Names have been changed to protect the privacy of these students...but you can still pray for them and God will know who you're praying for!

1 comment:

  1. This is AMAZING!!! I love stories like this! Thank you for sharing and inspiring, Kels!

    ReplyDelete